A 19th Century Brougham carriage by Eugene Picard of Paris, with low slung body and eliptical springs, painted in black and green livery and with green upholstery and bevelled glass windows, together with arms to front, approx 500cm long x 193cm wide x 160cm high, stamped to wheel hubs 'Eug. Girard No. 684'
Slight painting cracking and loss
Provenance: Sold by the owners of Brougham Hall, Brougham, Penrith as part of refurbishment works
Note: The Brougham carriage invented by Henry Peter Brougham (1778-1868), 1st Baron Brougham and Lord Chancellor to William IV, as a light and compact alternative to a traditional coach and horses, whilst on business in London. The original 1838 Brougham carriage, produced on 15th May 1838 by Robinson & Cook now housed at the Science Museum, South Kensington, London. The present lot has been in situ at Brougham Hall for many years as an example of the Brougham Carriage for tourists and was restored by Rodney Ousbey of Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire
£1800 - 2500 Click here for details of BP and other fees payable on this lot.